Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ranger's June Colour Challenge!

Hi everybody!

For the third time this year, Ranger Ink has posted a colour challenge.  I've been entering all along, but from here on out, I'll blog them as I go.  June's Seasonal Colour Palette challenge involves creating a project that uses certain shades of Ranger products to convey the idea of summer:


Looking at those great blues, and deep reds, I immediately thought of an Americana theme.  Once I hit my studio and got to work, I had so much fun, that I created two tags!


For the first, I thought about summer nights, and fireworks displays:


Materials used:
 - Ranger Inkssentials Black Craft Tags
 - Ranger Distress Ink: Aged Mahogany, Chipped Sapphire, Pumice Stone, Stormy Sky
 - Ranger Distress Marker: Stormy Sky
 - Ranger Alcohol Inks: Cranberry, Denim, Slate
 - Core'dinations Tim Holtz Distress Collection: Aged Mahogany, Chipped Sapphire, Pumice Stone
 - Sizzix Tim Holtz Texture Fades: Americana Background & Borders
 - DMC Embroidery Floss: S762 Silver Cloud
 - Canned air, white glossy cardstock, foam dots, double-stick tape from my stash

Looking at the list of suggested products, I noticed alcohol inks on the list.  I will admit that while I have several bottles of alcohol inks, I don't use them very often.  So I pulled them out, and set about making my fireworks.  I started with an ATC-sized piece of glossy cardstock, and as I dripped each colour onto the paper, I hit it with a blast of canned air.  Instant firework splatters!  Once I was happy with my fireworks, I set them aside to dry for a little while, and then rubbed Distress ink in the lighter blue over the top of them.  The alcohol inks resist the Distress, so I was able to darken my white "sky" without losing the colours of my fireworks.

I added some embossed and sanded and inked and sanded pieces, and some frayed embroidery floss tied at the top, and I have my fireworks!

Some more views:



Then I got to work on my second tag:


Materials used:
 - Ranger Inkssentials Manila Craft Tags
 - Ranger Distress Ink: Aged Mahogany, Chipped Sapphire, Stormy Sky
 - Ranger Distress Stain: Aged Mahogany
 - Ranger Archival Ink: Cobalt, Vermillion
 - idea-ology Crinkle Ribbon
 - Core'dinations Tim Holtz Distress Collection: Pumice Stone
 - Sizzix Tim Holtz Texture Fades: Americana Background & Borders
 - Stamps by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous: CMS145
 - Double-stick tape, foam dots from my stash

Here I just went for a classic Americana feel.  From Memorial Day, to Independence Day, to Labour Day, holidays are how we mark time in the summer.  

More views:



That's it for now!  Look for my June tag in the next couple of days!  :-)

BAC



1 comment:

  1. Both of these are great! I hope you win something fun. I have no doubt you will, (think positive). Really colorful fireworks display, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete