Today's project is for SimonSaysStamp's Monday challenge ("Winged Things"), and will also be submitted to SimonSaysStamp's Wednesday challenge ("Animal Antics"), and Inspiration Journal's April challenge ("A Few of My Favourite Things").
Here's my tag:
- Ranger Inkssentials Manila tags
- Ranger Distress Ink: Chipped Sapphire, Faded Jeans, Peacock Feathers, Vintage Photo
- Ranger Distress Stain: Broken China
- Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black
- Ranger Alcohol Ink: Bottle, Denim, Purple Twilight, Sailboat Blue
- Ranger Metallic Mixatives: Gold
- Ranger Alcohol Ink Blending Solution
- idea-ology: Adage Tickets, Sanding Block
- Core'dinations Distress Cardstock: Walnut Stain
- Maya Road Twine Cording: Blueberry
- Ranger Heat Tool
- Ranger Inkssentials Foam Blending Tool
- Ranger Alcohol Ink Felt
- Ranger Collage Glue Stick
- Tonic Studios: Craft Knife, Craft Scissors
- Sizzix Big Shot
- Sizzix Autumn Gatherings die
- Stamps by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous: CMS167, CSS25870, CSS25887
- Self-healing cutting mat
- White glossy cardstock, foam dots from my stash
I took my inspiration for this tag from some of the birds we see in our backyard. At a distance, they look black, but when the light hits them right, you see blues and greens and purples - beautiful!
I started by covering my tag with Distress stain, and drying it quickly with my heat tool. I stamped the smaller bird stamps with Distress ink, and then set the tag aside. I took a piece of white glossy cardstock, and began to build up a couple of layers of alcohol ink on it, with dots of each of my colours all on the same piece of felt, and periodically using a little blending solution. Once I had a result I liked, I let it dry, and then stamped my raven stamp on top of it with Archival ink. (I don't know what it is about that blueprint raven, but I love how it looks stamped over alcohol inks!) I dried the Archival, and then fussy-cut the raven out. Using my craft knife and a self-healing mat, I carefully cut out the space between the raven's legs. (Never use a blade on a non-stick craft sheet!!!) I wanted the suggestion of a nest, so I ran some brown Distress cardstock through my Big Shot with the Autumn Gatherings die, and used the twig pieces (the leaves, etc. will get set aside for a future project). :-) I lightly sanded the twigs, and then inked over them with Vintage Photo Distress ink. I considered using my Xyron to adhere them, but then decided against it because I knew I want pieces hanging off the edge on either side, and didn't want adhesive on the back of those pieces, so I used glue stick instead. I have to admit, it's not a product I remember to use frequently. My past experiences with glue stick have not been fabulous. But Ranger's collage glue stick holds extremely well, and allows me to add adhesive only in certain areas. After I glued the twigs and the bird, I inked around the edges of an Adage ticket, and added it with foam dots for a little dimension. Some twine cording at the top, and I was done!
Well, that's it for now! 'Til next time!