Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Vintage Journey: Spring Flowers

Here we are with Part 2 (of 3) of my posts this evening.  :-)

This project was created for A Vintage Journey's Challenge #4 ("Spring Flowers"), and I'm also submitting it to SimonSaysStamp's Wednesday challenge ("Anything Goes").

Here's my tag:

Materials/tools used:
 - Ranger Inkssentials Manila tags
 - Ranger Distress Ink: Broken China, Bundled Sage, Dried Marigold, Iced Spruce, Mustard Seed, Ripe Persimmon, Salty Ocean, Vintage Photo
 - Ranger Distress Paint: Peeled Paint, Picket Fence
 - Ranger Distress Stain: Tea Dye
 - Ranger Heat Tool
 - Ranger Inkssentials Foam Blending Tool
 - Ranger Inkssentials Mister
 - Ranger Inkssentials Collage Glue Stick
 - Tim Holtz 8x8 Paper Stash: Collage, Menagerie
 - idea-ology: Crinkle Ribbon, Long Fasteners, Sanding Grip
 - Tonic Studios: Craft Scissors, Paper Distresser
 - Sizzix Big Shot
 - Sizzix dies: Tattered Florals Bigz, Tattered Leaves Bigz
 - Stamp by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous: CSS30218
 - 1/8" hole punch

To create this tag, I started by putting some Tea Dye Distress stain and Peeled Paint Distress paint on my craft sheet, and swiping my tag through them until it was covered.  I dried it with my heat tool, and then covered it with Iced Spruce Distress ink.  Then I splattered some droplets of water on it, and dried once again with the heat tool.  I then inked around the edges with brown Distress ink, and distressed them with the Tonic distresser tool.  Next, I stamped my butterfly with white Distress paint, cleaned my stamp, and used my heat tool to dry the paint.

Next, I set the tag aside, and began working on my die cuts.  I cut pieces from four different pages in the paper stashes, and die-cut 4 sets of the Tattered Floral pieces, and 2 single leaves from the Tattered Leaves die.  I lightly sanded the edges, and then used my foam tool to add some color to my flower pieces.  Each flower above contains 2 sets of Tattered Floral pieces, but I mixed and matched the different paper designs for variety.  I used my tiny hole punch to make a hole in the centre of each flower piece, and began to put my flowers together, from the top down, on long fasteners.  I alternated rolling the petals inward or outward to create some dimension.  Once my flowers were complete, I attached the leaves to my tag with collage glue stick, and used some Glossy Accents to adhere the completed flowers.  Lastly, I took a piece of crinkle ribbon, spritzed it with water, rubbed a yellow Distress pad on it, crumpled it up, and dried it with my heat tool, for the perfect finishing touch on top.

More views:

Back in a little bit with my last post for this evening!  :-)



  1. Such a lovely tag - I really like the colors you have chosen. The entire tag is filled with wonderful details and topped off with that lively yellow ribbon.
    Thanks for joining us here at A Vintage Journey

  2. Very nice tag. Those flowers are great! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

  3. Fabulous, I love the whole tag, the effects you have achieved are wonderful. Thanks for joining us on A Vintage Journey xx

  4. Hi again Liz. :) These flowers are quite striking! Your Peeled Paint and Tea Dye swiped background gives a very nice mottled effect. That white butterfly really stands out. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey. <3 Candy